The Cook electorate is named after Captain James Cook (1728–79), the first European to discover the east coast of Australia in 1770.
The Cook electorate covers an area of approximately 94sq km from Kurnell and Cronulla in the east to Sylvania and Gymea Bay in the west and from Kyle Bay, Monterey and Botany Bay in the north to Dents Creek and Hacking River in the south. Suburbs include Monterey, Beverley Park, Blakehurst, Burraneer, Caringbah, Carss Park, Cronulla, Greenhills Beach, Gymea, Gymea Bay, Kyle Bay, Kurnell, Lilli Pilli, Miranda, Sandringham, Sans Souci, Sylvania, Sylvania Waters, Taren Point and Yowie Bay.
The local state members of Parliament are Mark Speakman SC MP, Member for Cronulla, Eleni Petinos MP, Member for Miranda, Mark Coure MP, Member for Oatley, Chris Minns MP, Member for Kogarah and Steve Kamper MP, Member for Rockdale.
- Morrison, S (LP) 2007–
- Baird, B (LP) 1998–2007
- Mutch, S (LP) 1996–1998
- Dobie, J D M (LP) 1975–1996
- Thorburn, R W (ALP) 1972–1975
- Dobie, J D M (LP) 1969–1972
- Cope, J F (ALP) 1955 (Note: following the 1955 redistribution the Division of Cook became part of the Division of Grayndler.)
- Sheehan, T (ALP) 1937–1955
- Garden, J S (ALP) 1934–1937
- Riley, E C (ALP) 1922–1934
- Catts, J H (ALP) 1906–1922